Tuesday 11 May 2010

UK Sojourn

On my way over to Zambia and on the way back to Canada I stopped in UK for a week each time. As usual I stayed with my good friends Roger and Marinda Hiscoe in their lovely old house near Twyford – always a home away from home.


It was a busy time catching up with some family members and African friends. One of them – Willem Pietersen (below) - I hadn’t seen in over 22 years ! It was great to reminisce about all the crazy things we did during our teenage years especially the unforgettable cross country trip to the Chimanimani Mountains !


I also did two presentations about the Foundation to two separate groups. There were not many people at both as it was quite short notice but those that did attend were very interested and we will no doubt get some support and donations from them. I get a sense that UK is going to grow into a strong support base for us now that SPF is registered there as a charity and I look forward to future visits there to do more presentations and connecting.

During the time in UK I managed to visit three Rotary Clubs for their weekly meetings - Bath (in photo below), Beckenham and Reading Abbey. Great to be able to experience one of the key aspects of Rotary – visiting other clubs throughout the world and connecting with fellow Rotarians.





No comments: